1. I can meet you at eight o'clock; _____ you can call for me.
[答案] C. alternatively
[注释]alternatively (=as an alternative) 作为一个替代办法：If however is used, but is not needed; or alternatively omit however. (如果使用however,就不需要but;或者作为一个替代办法省去however。)
[注意]alternately 和 alternatively的区别:alternately (交替地) ：At a Chinese dinner, the guests and the hosts sit alternately at a round table.
2. He has the _____ of an athlete: he really goes all out to win.
[答案] C. instincts.
[注释] instinct 天生的本领。instant n. 瞬间, 时刻; adj. 立即的, 直接的。如：instant coffee 速溶咖啡; instant food (s) 方便食品。例如：Spaceships are stocked with a variety of instant foods. (宇宙飞船上备有各种个样的方便食品。)
3. A university is an educational institution which _____ degrees and carries out research.
[答案] B. awards.
[注释]awards sb. sth. 授于某人某物。如：They awarded John the first prize. (他们授于约翰一等奖。)
对比：reward sb with sth. 以某物酬谢某人, 须加介词with; They rewarded the boy with $5 for bringing back the lost dog. (他们给这男孩5美元酬谢他把丢失的狗找回来。) grant (=consent to give or allow what is asked for) 同意 (给予) , 答应 (请求) ：The firm granted him a pension. (公司同意给予他退休金。) present sb. with sth. 赠送：Our class presented the school with a picture. (我们班给学校送了一幅画。) present 颁发, 呈递：1) The principal will present the diplomas. (校长将颁发文凭。) 2) We shall present a complete report to the Annual Conference. (我们将向年会递交一份全面的报告。)
4. The old lady can't hope to _____ her cold in a few days.
A. get over
B. get off
C. hold back
D. hold up
[答案] A. get over
5. Jim's plans to go to college _____ at the last moment.
A. fell out
B. gave away
C. gave off
D. fell through
[答案] D. fell through，未能实现