1. Although originally a German innovation, kindergarten got its real start in the United States as a movement to provide an improved learning environment for children.
A) an easy B) a playful
C) an open D) a better
2. There is always excitement at the Olympic Games when an athlete breaks a previous record of performance.
A) beats B) matches
C) maintains D) announces
3. The attack on Fort Sumter near Charleston provoked a sharp response from the North, which led to the American Civil War.
A) demanded B) elicited
C) extracted D) defied
4. Illinois has produced writers such as Carl Sandburg, gangsters such as A1 Capone, and architects such as Louis Sullivan.
A) violent criminals B) politicians
C) musicians D) industrialists
5. The towers of a suspension bridge serve as a rigid framework to which the cables are attached.
A) boundary B) skeleton
C) enclosure D) material
6. The use of the chemical may present a certain hazard to the laboratory workers.
A) protection B) indication
C) immunity D) danger
7. Many economists have given in to the fatal lure of mathematics.
A) error B) function
C) attraction D) miracle
8. The development of the transistor and integrated circuits revolutionized the electronics industry by allowing components to be packaged more densely.
A) compactly B) inexpensively
C) quickly D) carefully