1. It is obvious that he will win the game.
A. likely B. possible
C. clear D. probable
2. The earth moves around the sun.
A. before B. round
C. after D. over
3. Did anyone call when I was out?
A. everyone B. someone
C. nobody D. anybody
4. It took us a long time to mend the house.
A. build B. destroy
C. design D. repair
5. I don't quite follow what she is saying.
A. observe B. understand
C. explain D. describe
6. We can no longer tolerate his actions.
A. put up with B. accept
C. take D. receive
7. Loud noises can be irritating.
A. hateful B. painful
C. stimulating D. annoying
8. In the background was that eternal hum.
A. long B. never-ending
C. boring D. extensive
9. The Constitution's vague nature has given it the flexibility to be adapted when circumstances change.
A. imprecise B. apparent
C. clear D. easy
10. Gambling is lawful in Nevada.
A. enjoyable B. irresistible
C. legal D. profitable
11. These are the motives for doing it.
A. reasons B. excuses
C. answers D. replies
12. The river widens considerably as it begins to turn west.
A. extends B. stretches
C. broadens D. bends