发布时间：2017-05-03 来源：中学网校 发布人：继续
“How did you do it, Dad? How have you managed not to take a drink for almost 20 years?” It took me almost 20 years to have the 1 to even ask my father this very personal question. When Dad first 2 drinking , the whole family was on 3 and needles every time he got into a 4 that, in the past, would have 5 him drinking again. For a few years we were 6 to bring it up 7 that the drinking would begin again.
“I had this little poem that I would recite to myself at least four to five times a day,” was Dad’s 8 to my 18-year-old unasked question. “The words were a constant 9 to me that things were 10 so hard that I could not deal with them,” Dad said. And then he 11 the poem with me. The poem’s 12 , yet profound words immediately became 13 of my daily routine as well.
About a month after this talk with my father, I received a gift in the mail from a friend of mine. It was a book of daily sayings of wisdom with one 14 for each day of the year.
It has been my experience that when you get something with days of the year on it, you naturally turn to the page that lists your own 15 .
I 16 opened the book to November 10 to see 17 words of wisdom this book had in store for me. The moment I glanced at the page, tears of 18 and appreciation 19 down my face. There, on my birthday, was the exact same poem that had 20 my father for all these years ! It is called the Serenity Prayer:
God, grant me
the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can, and
the wisdom to know the difference.
1. A. chance B. courage C. ability D. right
2. A. gave up B. took up C. started D. continued
3. A. thread B. duty C. fire D. pins
4. A. situation B. habit C. condition D. house
5. A. stopped B. made C. started D. asked
6. A. sure B. uncertain C. afraid D. eager
7. A. on condition B. for rear C. in case D. providing
8. A. reply B. words C. excuse D. explanation
9. A. fear B. imagination C. thought D. reminded
10. A. never B. seldom C. always D. ever
11. A. discussed B. shared C. offered D. talked
12. A. simple B. long C. wonderfully D. boring
13. A. all B. that C. any D. part
14. A. listed B. included C. read D. said
15. A. character B. birthday C. qualities D. favorites
16. A. doubtfully B. carefully C. happily D. hurriedly
17. A. where B. whether C. what D. how
18. A. disbelief B. anger C. sorrow D. regret
19. A. hung B. pulled C. rolled D. pushed
20. A. troubled B. disturbed C. pleased D. helped