发布时间：2017-05-08 来源：中学网校 发布人：继续
I know I should have told the headmaster at the time. That was my real 1 .
He had gone out of the study for some 2 , leaving me alone. In his absence I looked to see 3 was on his desk. In the 4 was a small piece of paper on which were written the 5 “English Writing Prize 1949. History Is a Serious of Biographies (人物传记)”.
A(n) 6 boy would have avoided looking at the title as soon as he saw the 7 . I did not. The subject of the English Writing Prize was kept a 8 until the start of the exam so I could not 9 reading it.
When the headmaster 10 , I was looking out of the window.
I should have told him what had 11 then. It would have been so 12 to say: “I’m sorry, but I 13 the title for the English Writing Prize on your desk. You’ll have to 14 it.”
The chance passed and I did not 15 it. I sat the exam the next day and I won. I didn’t 16 to cheat, but it was still cheating anyhow.
That was thirty-eight years 17 when I was fifteen. I have never told anyone about it before, 18 have I tried to explain to myself why not.
The obvious explanation is that I could not admit I had seen the title 19 admitting that I had been looking at the things on his desk. 20 there must have been more behind it. Whatever it was, it has become a good example of how a little mistake can trap (使陷入) you in a more serious moral corner (道德困境).
1. A. plan B. fault C. grade D. luck
2. A. reason B. course C. example D. vacation
3. A. this B. which C. that D. what
4. A. drawer B. corner C. middle D. box
5. A. names B. words C. ideas D. messages
6. A. honest B. handsome C. friendly D. active
7. A. desk B. paper C. book D. drawer
8. A. question B. key C. note D. secret
9. A. help B. consider C. practise D. forget
10. A. disappeared B. stayed C. returned D. went
11. A. existed B. remained C. happened D. continued
12. A. tiring B. easy C. important D. difficult
13. A. saw B. gave C. set D. made
14. A. repeat B. defend C. correct D. change
15. A. take B. have C. lose D. find
16. A. remember B. learn C. mean D. pretend
17. A. past B. ago C. then D. before
18. A. either B. never C. nor D. so
19. A. by B. besides C. through D. without
20. A. But B. Though C. Otherwise D. Therefore